• Umbrellas – colorful umbrellas provide shade at amenity areas and within program rooms.
• Games Cart – a variety of favorite lawn and board games, including Corn Hole, ladder ball, bocce, chess, checkers, Connect Four, etc. Available free of charge, to borrow from our games cart. Opens June 1.
• Reading cart – Explore best sellers and titles from local publishers as well as weekly newspapers, available for use in the park. Make The Commons your stop over lunch to read up on news. Opens June 1. With support from Bond & Devick Wealth Partners.
• Ping Pong – Challenge your friends, family and colleagues to a game. Free paddles and balls available for use in the park. Opens June 1.
• Public Art Installation - Orbacles by MINN_LAB is presented as part of the City of Minneapolis Creative City Challenge. The winning submission by MINN_LAB addresses how climate change affects birdlife in Minnesota, and launches in conjunction with the Northern Spark Festival June 10.
• Kubb Lessons - Learn how to play Kubb, the Swedish lawn game described as “a combination of bowling and horseshoes”. Lessons provided by the St. Paul Kubb Society. Grab a bite at one of the rotating food trucks featured each class.
o Wednesdays: June 7 – August 16 (excluding July 5 & 12), 4:45 – 6:45pm
• Hip Hop Dance – Join instructors from House of Dance Twin Cities as they demonstrate and teach Breakin’, Popping, House, Krump and other styles of Hip Hop dance. All ages and skill levels welcome.
o Fridays & Saturdays: July 7, July 8, August 11 & September 8, 5-6pm
• Fly Feet HIIT & Run – Train alongside the expert running coaches at Fly Feet Running.
o Third Thursday of the month: June 15, July 20, August 17, September 21, 6-7pm
• Silent Disco – The newest dance craze to hit Minnesota; Silent Disco. 3 different DJ’s provide different soundtracks; you choose your favorite via illuminated headphones. Come to participate or just watch the crowd get their boogie on.
o Fridays, June 16 & August 4, 8-10pm
• Summer Extravaplaza – Lunchtime musical performances by MacPhail Center for Music students.
o Fridays: June 23, June 30, July 21 [CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER] & July 28, 12-1pm
• Spoken Word Workshops - Express yourself through poetry and performance in sessions led by teaching artists from TruArtSpeaks. Kids and teens welcome.
o Fourth Monday of the month: June 26, July 24, August 28 & September 25, 4-6pm
• Sing Play Learn – Early Childhood music teachers from MacPhail Center for Music engage people young and old in these fun music events. Toot your horn and bang your drum to the beat.
o Last Thursday of the month: June 29, July 27 & August 31, 1-2pm
• The Commons | Movies – A series of 4 festive movie nights, with a large format LED screen to enable easy viewing before sundown. And for the first time, you can bring your favorite beer or wine to The Commons. In 2017, these four movie events are the only "BYO" events in the city! Bring a blanket and a picnic, or grab food at one of the featured food trucks, and settle in for an evening of open air film with friends and family.
o Thursday, June 29 - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
o Thursday, July 27 - La La Land
o Thursday, August 10 - The Incredibles
o Thursday, August 24 - Casablanca
o Event starts at 7pm
• Mill City Night Market – A new night farmers market in partnership with Mill City Farmers Market. Pick up farm fresh, organic produce and local artisan foods for an easy weeknight meal. Prepared food vendors will be cooking up seasonal recipes all evening, so come hungry, stay, listen to live music and have a picnic supper in The Commons!
o Tuesdays: July 18 – September 26, 3:30 – 7:30 pm
• Bike with a Ranger – Hop on your own bike, or grab a Nice Ride to take a tour with a National Park Service Ranger. Tour the neighborhoods and learn more about flora and fauna, the Mississippi River or a variety of topics. In partnership with the Mississippi Park Connection.
o Saturdays: August 5, September 16 & October 21, 10-11:30am
• Aquatennial Yoga with CorePower Yoga - Experience one of CorePower Yoga’s signature style classes, C2, that will strengthen, balance and detoxify your entire body and mind as you move through more challenging postures and connected breath. BYO-yoga mat.
o Friday, July 21, 5:30-6:30pm
• Storytime & Activities with Tracy Nelson Maurer and Laura Purdie Salas: Noah Webster's Fighting Words & If You Were the Moon. - Join two local authors for interactive readings, songs, and a craft. Sunday children's literary feature.
o Sunday, August 6, 11am – 12pm
• Storytime & Sing-A-Long with Trisha Speed Shaskan and Stephen Shaskan: Punk Skunks and Q & Ray: Case #1 The Missing Mola Lisa (Early Release). - Sunday children’s literary feature.
o Sunday, August 13, 11am – 12pm
• Vikings Activations – Enjoy free family fun activities provided by the Minnesota Vikings on home game days. Inflatables, music, food trucks, and more. Free and open to the public.
o August 27, August 31, September 11, September 24, October 1, October 15, October 22, November 19